Saturday, February 28, 2015

More Thoughts on Practice and Becoming Fully Engaged



To be engaged in all my classes is sometimes hard to do, especially in areas of general study.  As I entered school and decide on a major, I enrolled in specialized classes to fill requirements of that major.  These classes are naturally more pleasing because they reflect my inherent interest.  The general studies courses are another story.  These required classes are usually in areas outside my interest or talent/skills.  This causes at least one of the two major issues keeping me from becoming engaged; they are boring or they are hard.
If a class is boring, if there is no interest in the material, then assignments feel like busy work, just another assignment needing to be turned in.  Motivation to do well wanes.  Dedication to learning slackens.  When the class is hard, more effort is needed, but sometimes, even my best efforts are not enough and I become frustrated.
These two issues can be resolved through understanding the principle of practice.  Having a positive attitude about the practice makes all the difference in the level of engagement in a class.  Busy work can become practice when a student focuses on the material becoming part of the self.  To refresh learning previously gained is to find new aspects of the material. This can only be done by genuine practice.  This genuinity can transfer to difficult classes as well.  Practice is the only way to learn and retain the skills and material which is unnatural for me.  I have to keep in mind that I may not be talented or skilled in this area, but each time I do it, I am getting a little better.  With practice, things which were once hard can become easy. 
Genuine practice helps me keep perspective on the big picture.  When I am genuine, I am grateful for the efforts of my professors and my opportunity to accomplish something great.  Life isn’t about this class, or that class, but all of the moments combined.  Practice makes me engage fully in these moments and propels me to accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment