Friday, January 30, 2015

Networking, the Schmoozer and the Individual



     To me, Schmoozers are in the same category as bullies and liars.  I have little tolerance for any of them.  Of all of them, the schmoozer is the worst because he is also a bully and a liar. I have always associated them with the concept of networking, so when I realized the reading assignment of the book "The Start-Up of You" was about using a network, I groaned.  I put the book on my nightstand and avoided it as long as I could.  With a deadline approaching I pulled it out and finished reading.  I was quite surprised at what I found.
     According to the book, networking is not what I thought.  In its purest form it is not about seeing what you can get from others, but finding ways to help others.  A schmoozer “works” people for his own gain, but a network is “working for” people for mutual gain.  Networking is finding ways to help others in what they are trying to do, with no expectation of returns.  It is important not to keep score, and more often than not, good will come back to you. 

     Networking is really just expanding our circle of service!  Our only job here is to learn to love God’s children.  He has asked us to serve one another and to spread His love as we do so.  Networking is one way to do this better.  It is building relationships.
     Pondering on my own network, I realize it is very small.  It is so small, it is almost embarrassing. I have allowed myself to become comfortable in my familiar.  I love my close friends and family, and that is good, but it is time I work to expand myself, to seek for ways to give service to others I may not be close to.  I have a lot of work to do.  

“I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose live I’ve touched.” Clayton M. Christensen, How Will You Measure Your Life? , Harvard Business Review, July-Aug 2010


 

No comments:

Post a Comment