Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Planning, the Big Joke You Play on Yourself

  Some big family events are coming up. I have been working fiendishly to complete assignments with due dates that coincide with these events.  I have a list of what needs to be done and I have been diligent about working down the list efficiently and effectively.  I had it all planned out.  I needed to complete A by this time and B by that time and so on. This would leave plenty of time for preparations and allow for a calm approach to travel and time with those I love.
But, like always, the best laid plans are often the first to be changed.  Everything from health issues and hospitals, to preparing a relief society lesson and sacrament talk back to back, to the necessity of filling the needs of others, has derailed my plans. I am feeling stressed about getting everything done that needs to be done. (Everything on my "want to get done" list has already been set aside.)
There is some potential for panic, but I feel good.  I feel confident.  The stress is driving me forward.  I am sure it is because I know this stress is just for a short time.  Things will settle back down and I will be able to return to normal. 
I have been tempted to let some of my work slack, to let it be just good enough.  But there are parts that are impossible for me to fix.  (Like having no students to teach and so not making the money I needed for a project.)  This is bad enough without purposely choosing to do poorly on other assignments.  It is making me take an honest look at what kind of person I am going to be.  Will I be the one who does a job half-way and calls it good enough, or will I always give my best effort, no matter the circumstances.  Will I be the person who falls apart when things don't go as planned, or will I pick myself up and brush myself off, let go and move on having learned from my mistake?  Will I be able to make my priorities stick and stet aside the fluff activities?
So far, I am proud of what I am accomplishing.  If I can do my best now, with these situations, there is hope that I will choose the best later when things get tough again.  The fluff things can wait. This process is helping to see the difference between the things I see as important and the the trivial.  Some things matter, some just don't.
I am just grateful this experience is not keeping me from making more plans.  Perhaps I am a glutten for punishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment