Friday, March 4, 2016

Network



My interview with an entrepreneur has sparked some interesting actions on my part.  One of the things we talked about was the importance of networking.  There is a word I love to hate.  I must have made a funny face when he gave me the advice to start working my network.  He immediately laughed and said, "It doesn't have to be slimy!"

I would never want someone to feel like I am using them for my own personal gain and so I find the idea of networking uncomfortable.  I have a lot of friends and a lot of contacts with people in my community and now it is time for me to step outside my comfort level and seek their help.

I have gone to a long neglected account in LinkedIn to update my contacts and information.  I even wrote a little essay about where I am in my education/career path.  I feel vulnerable, but I want people to really know me.  I am hoping they like me, and then like what I have to offer.

I have made a goal to contact three different people every week as part of developing my network.  This can be a phone call, email or even a face to face encounter.  I am nervous and excited at the same time. 

$100 challenge
  I am struggling to feel committed to my students because I know they are not staying.  My house is noisy at the times when I give lessons which is a distraction.  On a positive note, I appreciate the end coming.  I now know for certain that if  I were to really start a music studio, I would not be able to be the sole instructor.  I love that my students are learning and enjoying the same things I enjoy, but I am finding the lessons theselves to be a chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment